11.06.2007

Nothing Gold Can Stay.

With precision and rhythm, Robert Frost's poem offers us a powerful perspective on youth, the fleeting nature of time, and probably even life..."nothing gold can stay."

To me, this poem is a perfect example of how a poem can be both hard to understand AND an essential tool to share thoughts and feelings.

Think about the poem. Re-read it. Read it again. Out loud this time.

What does the poem mean to you?
What does it mean to Johnny and Ponyboy?


Special thanks to Mr. Frost and his poetry. Let me know if you'd like to read more!
Stenson

4 comments:

Beth A. said...

Not trying to sound rude but you spelt rythym wrong, it's Rhythm.

Stenson said...

Fixed!

Hannah Crook said...

I really liked this poem! I've heard of Robert Frost before but I've never read any of his poems. I really liked this one, but like pony boy I didn't understand it at first. After reading the book a few times and watching the movie alot, I understand it. It has more than just one meaning I think. Like one is that when your young you "gold" and you can't stay like that. Another is that all the great moments and things(aka gold) in your life aren't going to stay the same, things change. By the way something I noticed in the movie thats different from the book is in the book when he reads the poem it sounds deep and meaningful. In the movie it still does in a way but I think when he reads it in the movie, it was so different from what I pictured, It kind of looked cheesy, to me. Wow that was confusing. What I'm trying to say is in MY opinion, when Ponyboy reads the "Nothing Gold Can Stay" poem, it seems kind of cheesy. Not the poem itself but the way he reads it. Know what I mean??

I just Started Marley and Me and I'm loving it so far. I have a Golden Retriver, Lacey and I can relate to a TON of things in the book! ~Hannah
P.S. Ms Stenson can you tell me when Looking for Alaska gets back to you? I really want to read it, Thanks!!!!!!!

Burky said...

Hannah, I agree with you. I think that 'Gold' is like a young age and you can't stay that way. Like life is good until you have to grow up and start working and stuff like that.