5.20.2007

My attempt to blog about reading.

I don't know if this is going to work, but I'm going to try. My 8th graders laughed me out of my classroom when I told them I expected them to keep reading this summer AND blog about it.

I am new at this, so I don't really know where to start. I just want kids reading. But just in case they get spazzy about a good book now and then, I want them to know there's a place to pass it on.

I'll get started by sharing books that have knocked me and a few of my students over. But hang with me. Once I get some of my super-tech savvy colleagues to help me out, I'll try to add links, images, and all that jazz.

Today's recommendations:

  1. Sean M. told me the other day that Flush (by Carl Hiaasen)was a book that he finished in a weekend. He thought it went quickly because it "was just one of those good books".
  2. Patrick L. turned in a book called I am the Messenger (by Markus Zusack) and told me "It made me laugh, and then it made me sad, and then it made me mad, and then it made me happy". I think I got choked up. So I read it over the weekend. Actually, I read it Sunday afternoon. I loved the message. Pun intended.
  3. The Tall Guy just finished Flight by Sherman Alexie. I pushed it at him for a week. When he started it, he read it straight through and was up for a few hours trying to get his hands around it. I'm telling you--the book broke my heart right open. It's off-the-charts violent, but a beautiful, poignant story still. I can't put words around all that's good about this book. Just read it. Because of the violence, I'd recommend kids read it with an adult.
And this is how I'll begin my blog...
Happy reading,
Stenson


6 comments:

Jennifer S. said...

I just finished a book, called "A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life" by Dana Reinhardt. I would rate it a 10+ because it is such a realistic book, and I think people my age would really like to read it. I'm not the kind of person that loves to read, I actually hate it in some ways. But when I began reading this book, I couldn't keep my hands off. So, if you're looking for a good book, I would highly recommend this one.

Courtney B. said...

I am reading a book called "Perfect" by Natasha Friend. Natasha Friend also wrote a book called "Lush" and these books are about teenage girls and one of the books Perfect, has this girl who is belimic and has to go to a class for it. The other book Lush has a girl who's dad is a drinker and she has troubles waking up every night hearing her dad come in and breaking stuff. I would recommend this book to teenage girls who like more of the girl related topics.

Kaylani Edwards said...

I just recently finished a book called "Can't Get There From Here" by Todd Strasser. I loved this book because it was very powerful and made me want to continue reading. This book is about a group of teens who have been abused. I thought that it was very sad to hear all their stories, and the kids still tryied to make something out of there lives. I would definatly rate this book 2 thumbs up. It's slow at the start but very suspensful towards the end!

Julia said...

I agree with Sean M. , all of my friends are RAVING about that book called Flush. "I hope I can read it this summer!!!"

Julia said...

I have just finished " The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" by Ann Brashares. it is a great book about friends. It made me notice my one-of-a-kind relationships between my frineds and I. PLEASE READ IT!

Courtney B. said...

Hey!
I'v read the "Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants" and i agreee with Julia it is a very good book and it kinda does remind me of some of the relationships i have with my friends. After I read the book, I watched the movie and I loved it! I think that everyone should read it.
Thanks Courtney