6.23.2007

Things I'm wondering about...

Hello, Hello, Hello!!!

What a great morning for reading! It's overcast and early and a cool enough to open the windows, crawl under the sheets, and dive into the most recent book I picked up. It's called The Westing Game and its author is Ellen Raskin. It's a fun mystery, with exaggerated (and funny) characters and clever word plays.

The book has a great reputation, but I got to tell you...I don't think many 8th graders would like it. When I showed the book to Ms. Sbrocco, she shivered. Apparently, she hated that book as a kid and could never, ever get into it. I can see why...unless you really like to read, I don't think it's going to be that interesting and fun for you.

However, those of you who love to read mysteries, especially classic murder mysteries like Agatha Christie's and Sherlock Holmes stories, will enjoy this. It's clever, and it's fun to figure the clues out as the book moves along.

Enough about me, I have some questions...

1. WHAT ARE YOU READING? I know Jimlaine's read a few books I've never heard of, and I know Kayla enjoyed a couple of Jacqueline Woodson's books, but what else is everyone reading?

2. Why hasn't anyone taken my advice and read American Born Chinese, the coolest graphic novel book EVER?

3. Will Patrick share part of his book with us? Hope so, PL...

Be well and be a reader,
Stenson

5 comments:

Abby said...

Right now, I'm reading "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series. I've just recently finished reading the third and have just started the forth. I like the series a lot. There are four main characters: Lena, Tibby, Carmen, and Bridget. The narrator writes about one girl for a few pages and then changes to another one. I liked reading about each girl, especially Bridget. Everytime I finish one of the books, I think it is better than the last, but I'm not sure about the forth. It seems harder to get into than the others, but I'll have to see how I like it. Has anyone else read the books? I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Julia said...

right now I am reading "getting near to Baby"--I forget the author, if I summerize the book a little for you then I might give it away!! It is really sad.
p.s.--Abby--I read the sisterhood of the traveling pants too and I loved them!!oh and also--Stenson says you're really cool!

Stenson said...

Hello there. I couldn't be happier that TWO posts have appeared since I last logged on.

1. Abby, I loved the first three STP books, but I have not read the fourth. I find those books so appealing because of the likeable, memorable characters. Even though I am much older, and I don't have a lot in common with any of the characters, there is a little piece of each character that I recognize in myself. So, I just really enjoyed reading those books. I also think they are the perfect mix of humor, real life, and drama...so that's what I think.

2. Jules (who lives in Boston but is here visiting her uncle and me) since the first book you recommended to me The Tale of Desperaux is such an enchanting book, I'm excited to read other books you recommend--so I'll have to add Getting Near to Baby to my summer reading list.

ABBY said...

Well, I just finished the forth book of the Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants and I thought it was pretty good. Once I got into it, I enjoyed it a lot, but I still didn't like it as much as the others. Not that I didn't like it, it's just that the other one's are so great. I'm not completely sure why I didn't like it as much, but it just seemed like everybody was doing everything wrong and the girls' relationships with each other were kind of falling apart. Of course everything was resolved in the end, that's how it always is. I'm interested to see if there is a fifth book coming out. I'll keep you updated!

Beth A. said...

I just finished a book called summer intern by carrie karasyov and jill kargman. It was about a jirl named kira parker, who won an internship with a magazine called "skirt". It starts with her working really hard the first few week to be the cheif editors intern. I thought it was a very thrilling book with her advernture with the magazine , new friends, boys, and new york city. I read it because the authors also wrote the book bitter sweet sixteen, and that main character reminded me so much of the one it summer intern , They were both just really fun books.