6.01.2009

"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die."


My DA kids are reading the book Three Cups of Tea. The geography and the people, the story and the spirit of this book are each extraordinary.

The man behind this true story, Greg Mortenson, is a true American hero who school by school is promoting peace and justice in an impoverished land; but he is not alone. Jahan, the first young girl from her village to be educated, has just as much courage as Greg. Haji Ali, a village leader, holds himself with wisdom and patience unfamiliar to the Western world. Jean Hornei and his wife Jennifer Bergman give so generously, it's not surprising that the title of this post comes from Jennifer's necklace inscription.

There are several versions of this book. Anyone up for a challenge should try the original, but there are a few other versions depending on who is reading the book. For more information, please go to this website.

I urge you to read this book. It will reach right through you and grab you by the spine. In my experience, that's always been a sign of a good book.

Peace,
-Stenson

4 comments:

Propsicle said...

My parents said it was a really good book and that I should read it.

Camille Churchill said...

It's a great story. Just to clarify, the "I want to be all used up when I die" necklace belonged to Julia Bergman, a cousin of Jennifer Wilson, who is the wife of Jean Horni....

Camille Churchill said...

It's a great story. Just to clarify, the "I want to be all used up when I die" necklace belonged to Julia Bergman, a cousin of Jennifer Wilson, who is the wife of Jean Horni....

Camille Churchill said...

It's a great story. Just to clarify, the "I want to be all used up when I die" necklace belonged to Julia Bergman, a cousin of Jennifer Wilson, who is the wife of Jean Horni....