7.30.2009

Boyfriends.


Hmpfh. I get it. Boyfriends are a big deal when you are 14, 15, and so on. It's troublesome ground. Some girls, many girls actually, find comfort, friendship, and loyalty in their boyfriends. The relationships of their adolescents play an important role in teaching them how to navigate dating and relationships as they grow up. However, other girls only find more reasons to grow more self-doubting and dependent. Like I said, shaky ground. So, this topic- boyfriends- is a topic that usually generates too much adolescent angst and drama when I bring it up with my students. However, I know the topic is a big, big part of being a teenage girl. That's why I read E. Lockhart's book The Boyfriend List.

While it's no Disreputable History , it is an interesting book that portrays a realistic peek into the psyche of teenage girls and their struggles with friends, boys, and boyfriends. I love a series. I like the lessons the Ruby (our protagonist) learns.

Just make sure you read Disreputable History too.

Keep reading.
-stenson

p.s. The picture above is from e. lockhart's website.

No comments: